Sea View killing case: Police granted two-day remand of prime suspect

Sea View killing case Police granted two-day remand of prime suspect

The Judicial Magistrate (South) has given a two-day physical remand of the prime suspect in the Sea View killing case on Monday.

Earlier, law enforcement agencies (LEAs) took into custody the primary suspect, Khawar Burney, involved in the road rage incident at Sea View, yet the case is far from getting solved as the mystery continues to surround events that unfolded on Sunday.

Authorities recovered late Sunday night the third car alleged to have been involved in the incident that claimed the life of one person and injured three others as a vehicle was fired upon.

Police said they had seized a black-coloured double-cabin vehicle but the search for those inside the car was still underway, with raids being conducted in PECHS, Kashmir Road, and adjoining areas.

The deceased was identified as 18-year-old Zafir.

Eyewitnesses said four people were on their way from Do Darya in Phase 8 of the Defence Housing Authority (DHA) in a car when they reportedly hit a sports bike from behind and sped away.

A few moments later, their car was chased down, stopped by a double-cabin vehicle — which was escorting the injured biker — and was fired upon by people from inside.

Police said that after allegedly firing at least nine times at the car, the men in the vehicle climbed out of and beat up the passengers.

Police immediately launched a search for the vehicle and assailants, while a forensic team collected evidence from the site, according to officials.

Later, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) for South informed Geo News that four suspects had been arrested from Khalid bin Waleed Road while the pick-up was also seized.

Police claimed that they have confiscated the weapon and car used in the incident. The prosecutor has requested the court to include terrorism charges against the suspect.

Meanwhile, in a recently-surfaced CCTV video, it is seen that the prime suspect Khawar along with his accomplices in two other cars was speeding away after the murder.

Police said that the suspect hid at his Allama Iqbal Road residence.

Authorities also recovered weapons from the detainees and filed a case in this regard.

Chief Minister Sindh Murad Ali Shah took notice of the incident and also sought a report from the additional inspector general of police.

‘By mistake’

In a statement to the police, the main accused Burney said he tried to stop the ‘Mercedes car’ when he witnessed the accident, engaging in aerial firing in order to signal it to halt.

As he fired, his pistol moved upwards by mistake, he narrated, adding that the bullets hit the people inside the car.

Dr Abdul Rahim — the motorcycle rider — has disassociated himself from the incident, saying he doesn’t know either Burney or the deceased.

Incidents of firing are rampant in the country’s biggest city, which is rife with unlicensed weapons and where escorts of private armed guards are common.

‘Deceased was hit by two bullets’

The investigating officer in the case said the deceased, Zafir, died of wounds from two bullets.

The vehicle he was riding was shot from the left side. The bullets hit Zafir in the chest and hand, the officer said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s